Writing a Personal Statement – Do’s and Don’ts
- Do include relevant information.
- Don’t start every sentence with ‘I’.
- Do organise the statement, so that it is structured and makes sense.
- Don’t talk about irrelevant information.
- Do check spelling, punctuation and grammar before submitting.
- Don’t talk in text speech, slang or jargon.
- Do write full and complete sentences.
- Don’t talk about preferences of universities.
- Do link your current and future studies.
- Don’t lie
- Do include information about any current/previous employment experiences.
- Don’t use the words ‘love’ and ‘passion’
- Do use as much writing space as possible (maximum of 4000 characters or 47 lines).